Monday, May 12, 2014

Prop Ideas for Children's Outdoor Photography

Besides props being fun to use, they can add to the overall feeling that you are looking for in your photos. For this blog post, I wanted to touch on some ideas for props. There are tons of different types, depending on the look and feeling you're going for.

For the first picture, I wanted to capture the feeling of simple yet rustic and I also knew I wanted to shoot in front of a specific barn. After getting permission from the owner to shoot at this location, I arrived and scouted out the area. I found an old plastic crate - old hay and all, and after emptying it I knew it would work into the shoot perfectly. I hadn't planned on using the crate, but once I saw it I knew it would add to the rustic feel I was going for. I had the hat already, and the model came in worn out, old (but clearly loved!) boots, which only added to the feel of this shoot. I do, at times, tell my subjects how to pose and whether to smile or look serious, to laugh or to gaze off in the distance, but a lot of times with children I just find it easier to take candid shots. I tell them to just act how they normally would and I snap away. A lot of my best pictures are achieved doing just this!


Details are always important. For the next picture, I knew it was a birthday shoot. What's cheaper than balloons for a great prop? I stopped at the dollar store and picked out a few and off I went to the shoot. I had the outfit for the model, which felt celebration-like and it worked out perfect. I brought a crate with me just in case I changed my mind about the feel of the shoot, which came in handy. Even though you can't see the crate in the photo, I had her stand on it and hold onto the balloons. With the wind lightly blowing the balloons in the opposite direction of her, she was forced to hold onto them tight, which turned into a game for her. Again, not asking her to pose any certain way, I snapped away and let the pictures speak for themselves.




And even though the balloons are not in the picture below, having her look up at them the way she is with the lighting behind her, just adds to the majestic feel of this photo. 


You don't have to spend a fortune to obtain props, especially in the beginning. An old crate, boots, a hat, or even balloons can give the feeling you're going for in a photo. Lighting is important in creating a mood for your pictures too, and more often than not, less is more. You don't want to take away from the subject you are shooting, so make sure to keep that in mind when planning props for your sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment